crabfu crabfu is offline Bit Processor
    Category
    Build Articles
    Views
    Replies

Swashbot1

Skills Required
    • Basic understanding of R/C (radio control) a big plus
    • Understand how to program a radio transmitter, or ability to read the manual
    • Understanding of CP helicopter swash setup a big plus
    Parts Required
    • Radio Transmitter capable of CCPM helicopter transmitter (Spektrum DX7 shown in the video)
    • Radio Receiver compatible with the transmitter (Spektrum AR6000 shown in the video)
    • 4 micro or feather servos(Eflight Blade CP servos shown in the video)
    • Receiver battery pack
    • Helicopter links (Align Trex 450 ball links, or other similar sized ball links for 400 size r/c helicopter)
    • Long servo horns (6)
    • Thread locker or Lock Tight recommended - low strength, often referred to as the "blue" stuff
    • Misc body parts & paint, LEDs etc - see video
    • Having a curious cat recommended, but not required
    Tools Required
    • hex driver for the ball links
    • small screw driver
    • Your brain and fingers
    [youtube]Y-W_1UgevvA[/youtube]
    [youtube]89ctbn_KaHo[/youtube]
    [youtube]7mknbwwLzFw[/youtube]
    [youtube]pjZpbMR7VhU[/youtube]
    Attached Files
    • DSCN8004
    • DSCN8009
    • DSCN7997
    • DSCN7993
    • DSCN7992
    • DSCN8012

Replies to Tutorial: Swashbot1
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Re: Swashbot1

Again a very amusing video crabfu, nice work. As for the cat, well he looks quite amused with it all.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

2. Re: Swashbot1

Awesome!

3. Re: Swashbot1

hi, i am a beginner in robotics, want build a swashbot, can i build one with this remote control?http://www.trossenrobotics.com/hitec...io-system.aspx
    is a good remote control for a beginner?

cumpliments

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Not as designed, no. There's programming taht goes into getting the servos to move in the right combination - and that's not a programmable transmitter.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

5. Re: Swashbot1

Thanks for jumping in adrenalynn it is correct that radio will NOT work. You need a "ccpm" (cp helicopter) type transmitter, and it should be ground legal. You need something like a Spektrum dx6, dx6i, or dx7 (what I am using), or equavalnt ccpm 2.4ghz transmitter.

6. Re: Swashbot1

hy.
    I don┤t understand all things, because i am a beginner.
    i don┤t have any experience about robots.

i don┤t understand that the diference that you use need be programmable transmiter, because the rotation of servos right?

And this remote control the first, is "ccpm" http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_trans.shtml
    I wont spend much money because i want buy robophilo or robobuilt.
    But i am confused by the price that i see is more cheap that radios you tell me.
    is it work?

What is 2.4 ghz and 27 mhz is the power? that is join with distance.

i don┤t understand much about remote control, why 2.4 ghz? and why "ccpm"? "ccpm" means that is programmable and is for helicopter?

Sorry by the questions but i am a beginner of beginner, i don┤t have any material for begin, 1║i think buy one humanoid and 2║ do your project, more later buy 3║ bot board II and basic atom 28pin and the trekker chassis, but but each thing opportunely. 4║ Phoenix.

Bye thanks for all.

7. Re: Swashbot1

2.4ghz & AM/FM are frequencies that the radio system works on. Some are made for air, and some for ground, and 2.4ghz is legal for both air or ground. I think the only radio system that supports ccpm, and also ground legal, is 2.4ghz... but I may be wrong. So to be safe, I'd say get a 2.4ghz system. Spektrum dx6 or dx6i are around the same price as that hitech tx that you linked.

You need a CCPM transmitter. CCPM stands for Cyclic/Collective Pitch Mixing. Basically it just means it's a transmitter that can work with a Control Pitch type R/C helicopter. The swashbot use the 3 servo principle of most r/c helicopters made these days, so that's why a non helicopter transmitter will not work... they will not control 3 servos in unision with the 2 sticks, so you will not be able to control it like I am in the video.

-Crabfu

8. Re: Swashbot1

hi.
    thanks a lot Crabfu and Adrenalynn for all.
    first i will buy the robophilo or robobuilder, i am wait a answer in other thread about this.
    second buy the spektrum dx6i and some servos to build one swahbot.

One thing, what type of servos i need? servos that can use in airplane and helicopters for air correct...

thanks for all

Cumpliments

9. Re: Swashbot1

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    hi.
    thanks a lot Crabfu and Adrenalynn for all.
    first i will buy the robophilo or robobuilder, i am wait a answer in other thread about this.
    second buy the spektrum dx6i and some servos to build one swahbot.

One thing, what type of servos i need? servos that can use in airplane and helicopters for air correct...

thanks for all

Cumpliments
    Any sub micro servos will work. They are not limited for air use. You don't need anything fancy, any cheap sub micro or micro servo will do just fine. What I used here are eflite servos, around 12 bucks a pop.

-Crabfu

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Ok - now testing page 2.
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż

Closed Tutorial