Views
    Replies

T-1 Rise of the Machines

Difficulty
    Very difficult
    Estimated Time
    Unknown at this time
    Skills Required
    Modeling, Metal work, soldering, Electronics,Engineering,co-ordination,Programming [argh], Weapons systems [GWJax],
    Parts Required
    Tracks, Lexan or Polycarb sheet, SES brackets, HRS 5990t servos, Fiber glass components, Cardboard, Balsa wood, MDF, Cyno glue, MDF sanding sealer, Duratek, Carbon cloth,Modeling clay,Electronic components,Hitec servo tester, 3 NiMh Batteries, ITX M/B, 60W P/S, Solid state Hdd,
    Switches, LEDs, Two Gattling guns, Camera, communication system,2 12v 50:1 DC motors,Rotational base bearing[ local machine shop], 2 1/4 scale servos, Documentation of project,
    Tools Required
    Drill press, Lathe, scaling dividers, X-acto knife, drills, taps, pens, curved protractors, Straight edge, Bandsaw, Fret saw, Dremel, Fiber glassing tools, cordless drill, Allen keys, Small spanners, Pliers, Square,
    T-1 Rise of the Machines

This is my second entry into the TRC contest, This robot is a hard one to build from scratch as there are very little photo's on the net, I have searched for about 5 months and only come up with about 9 good res pics. GWJax found a good pic for me as well [far right in pic]. There are a number of sites dedicated to the Terminator series, but not a lot on the T-1 so I think that I will be doing well to complete this robot. It will be similar to J5 in as much that it will have an ITX PC and solid state Hdd and vision, quite a few sensors will be included, but the main attraction will be the live twin firing gattling guns which GWJax is building for me, These will be in the region of 10-13" long and will rotate at a pretty rapid rate, there will be a fair bit of timing to be done to get this right on GW's part. The base and tracks are finished, Two sets of batteries will be housed in the track sections, [Penty of room in there] and the main batteries in the mid section. At this stage I have built the main body in MDF and balsa, this is the plug that will be used for the mold to cast the final item in either glass or carbon. The head will be carved out of molding clay that GW is going to send me and then molded in glass to form the head, this will house the sensors and camera. T-1 will have a total of 11 servos, 6 HR-5990 for the arms and gattling guns, 2 HR- 5990's for the raise and lower of the torso, A heavy duty 1/4 scale servo for the rotational base, and 2 for the pan/tilt head, 645's. Track will run of 12v system [ May reduce this to get a lower speed], 9.6 ITX and 7.2v servos. I have not decided on the targeting system for the gattling guns yet. I hope this robot will be ready for the next round of competitions, but, if it is not then it will have to go in the next round.

Nylon 1-15/16" bushings from lynxmotion, two joined together.

Hex 1-15/16 nylon standoff's joined together.

Jig set up for hex rod to get correct length.

Jig in use for cutting hex rod roughly to length.

Next stage is to sand the edge of the hex rod to get it square.

Nylon rod in jig cutting roughly to size.

Trimming to the correct length.

Nylon tubes ready for the next stage. Lynxmotion part [ Here ]

Hex rod ready for the next stage. Lynxmotion part [ Here ]

Using a machine vice to hold 4/40 rod @ 25mm long, These will be used to join the hex rod together.

Using a Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel to cut 4/40 threaded rod.

Black Polycarb 5mm sheet, These will be used for the track sides and base.

Track sides, Two large holes are for the motors, medium holes are for bearings and smaller holes are for the nex rod to join the sides together.

Track sides in vice for cleaning up.

Lynxmotion Idler hub-13 [ Here ] for 3" [ 75mm] Tracks.

Lynxmotion 75mm track link [ Here ]

Lynxmotion 50:1 gearhead motors 12v [ Here ] These are fitted to the polycarb sheet.

Sabertooth 2 x 10 H-Bridge motor driver [ Here ] This will be used for the Lynxmotion 50:1 motors.

Sprocket set SPRK-02 [ Here ] frpm Lynxmotion, AA batery for size comparison. you will need 8 of these.

Close up of the Nylon tube, These are what the tracks glide on.

Close up of 50:1 12v motor.

Close up of one set of sprockets with idler joining the two together.

One side temporarly put together to show you the setup.

As you can see with this clear polycarb set up, All the sprocket gears and rollers, The final set up will be black polycarb and there will also be a polycarb platform in the middle so that I can insert my battery pack either side.

Another side view.

Ok, This is the start of the track construction process, Because I am using the 3" tracks there are no hex rods that Lynxmotion sell at present that are long enough, so I have used 1 1-15/16 rod and cut down another 1-15/16 hex rod and tapped with a 4/40 so as to join them together.

Hex rod now joined together, you will need 8 of these.

Joining the polycarb sides together. I used 5/8 x 3mm cap bolts.

End view showing the nylon tube inserted over the hex rod.

(Page 1 of 5)
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Replies to Tutorial: T-1 Rise of the Machines
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Re: T-1 Rise of the Machines

So sorry this project is taking so long. Have been out of work now for so long and funds dried up. but i am trying to restart it. [hate leaving a project unfinished] so i will try to do some work on it abeit a bit slow. i know a few of u were following this project so will do my best.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

2. Chadcrissdesign Guest

any updates on this?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Hi chadcrissdesign, sorry to all members here for the huge delay in this project this last year has not been a goon one for me. but now i am back in the work force and ready for the challenge again on this project, but i have a lot of catching up to do and also see where i left of 12 months ago. so will be looking soon at where i left off. i know i have f/b moldings to make for the body shells so might start there . keep you all posted. also i need to enter this into the next round of T/R DiY competition.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Had a big tidy up in the workshop this weekend and now ready to start this project again, had to do some catching up as to where i left off, been making parts for it and when i get time will post a continuation from where i left off. the next step will be the fiberglass body shells .

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008

:-( work caught up with me again stopping me from continuing with this project. but work has eased of now so hoping ppl i can get back to this project. so sorry for the delay.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Hello ppl im so sorry this project has stopped for so long, there are a number of reasons for this which i wont go into and on 3 occasions have said ill be back :-( im sorry for the delay but this project will get finished i promise you all that, and ill do my utmost to get back on track with it. i do have a lot of catching up to do to get back up to speed . footnote if anyone needs to get hold of me plz contact me @ Vince51 on skype .

Closed Tutorial