Tutorial: Connect an Arduino to the Trossen/Sparkfun TTL Laser

Adrenalynn Adrenalynn is offline Banned from posting too much :-)
    Category
    How To, DIY
    Views
    Replies

Connect an Arduino to the Trossen/Sparkfun TTL Laser

Difficulty
    Easy
    Estimated Time
    5 minutes
    Skills Required
    A pulse and the ability to cut and paste code to your Arduino
    Parts Required
    An Arduino (I'm using the Decimillia)

A Sparkfun TTL Laser

A little hookup wire

Tools Required
    Wire strippers
    Let's make a simple tutorial showing how to connect-up and write code to send "TRC" in morse code by blinking the Sparkfun TTL LASER using an Arduino. I've chosen the Arduino because it's an Atmel ATMEGA 168, so should provide some ideas for use in other popular 168 platforms.

We'll assume in the tutorial that you've at least played with your Arduino in the past, and know how to set the power jumpers to run either from external power (preferred) or from the USB.

0. POWER OFF THE ARDUINO.

1. Let's strip three pieces of wire. Ideally they'll be red, black, and white jumper wires. Or you can pick up some good jumper wires here: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8431

Attachment 405

2. Connect the white wire by pushing it into the header on the Arduino marked "DIGITAL" and "2" (third from the right side along the top).

3. Connect the black wire by pushing it into the header on the Arduino marked "GND". You can use any, but in my photo, I use the one fourth from the left along the bottom of the Arduino along the "POWER" header.

4. Connect the red wire by pushing it into the header on the Arduino marked "5V" along the bottom row of headers marked "POWER" and 5v. It's the third from the left on mine.

Attachment 406

5. Connect the wires to the matching colors on the TTL laser by pushing them into the connector. White -> White, Black -> Black, Red -> Red [or whatever colors you chose to represent those]
    (Page 1 of 4)
    Attached Files
    • arduino-ttl-laser
    • is[1]
    I Void Warranties´┐Ż