Category
    How To, DIY
    Views
    Replies

Lightbulb Get started with PICAXE chips

Difficulty
    Easy
    Estimated Time
    An hour tops (as long as you have all the bits)
    Skills Required
    Being able to use side-cutter, pliers and being able to ues a soldering iron. Also, using a computer.
    Parts Required
    1x 3 AA battery holder
    3x AA Batteries
    1x PICAXE 08M microcontroller
    1x 10k ohm resistor
    1x 22k ohm resistor
    1x D9 female serial plug.
    3x SIL (Single In Line) Pin Header 2.54mm prong things
    1x d9 plastic backshell
    1x bread board. 270 tie points preferabbly
    1 meter ribbon cable
    set of different sized jumpers
    Tools Required
    soldering iron
    solder
    pliers
    side cutters
    multimeter (not necessary)
    This is my first ever tutorial, sooo.... here goes.

How do I create the download programming cable?

When you get you ribbon cable, strip three wires off one side. then splice them about 1cm along at each end.

Solder the wire on to the serial plug. The serial plug should have numbers on the back of it, numbering the holes.

Hole number 5 should be soldered with the darkest wire out of the three spliced wires, to avoid confusion when plugging the download cable in, because hole 5 is going to the bottom dot.
    (the blue one)

Solder the 3 prongy SIL headers onto the other end of the ribbon cable. make sure they are in the correct order. see the circuit diagram. Once everything is soldered together, check your connections with a multimeter to see if they are working properly.

When connecting the download cable, make sure you plug it in the correct way round, otherwise the download will fail. no harm will be done to the PICAXE chip. If you do get a failed download, turn the plug around, (at the chip end), and try downloading the program again.

How do you set up the simple breadboard layout?

~ photo from http://www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/

your finished circuit on your breadboard should look something like this, if you got a similar breadboard;

Attachment 1225

How can you program your PICAXE Chip?

Please download the programming editor from:
    http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/bas805.exe it should start download automatically. this should be around 30mb.

When programming you PICAXE chip, make sure that you use a loop... i have made this mistake a few times, and wondered "why isnt my chip working like it should?"

Simple programs may go like this:

loopa:
    readadc 1, b1
    debug
    goto loopa

this program will read the variable input from input 1, and open the debug window to show what the variable is. I will post more coding, and explain it in a different tutorial.

FOR MORE HELP AND GUIDENCE SEE: the manuals under the "help" drop menu in the proramming editor.

Unfortunately
    , i lost my last download cable, so i need to find or make another one before i can post pictures of it.

Attachment 1221

All photos i either took at the time of writing this article, or had stored on my computer from other manuals etc i have written in the past, unless otherwise stated.

~Elios
    Attached Files
    • SDC10353
    • breadsc
    • PICAXE 08m
    • Bread Board picaxe
    • SDC10356
    Hey Hamlet: 2b or not 2b = $FF

Replies to Tutorial: Get started with PICAXE chips
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Re: Get started with PICAXE chips

Hey I'm a fan of PICAXE chips myself! I like your tutorial If i did this attatchment thing right then it should have included the following files:
    PICAXE manual-1.pdf PICAXE manual-2.pdf PICAXE manual-3.pdf PICAXE download circuit.pdf PICAXE datasheets.pdf
    These are just some pdf's that totally helped me so here they are!
    The sentence below is true.
    The sentence above is false.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008

Re: Get started with PICAXE chips

thanks for those! i just installed the editor on my main machine myself lol.
    Hey Hamlet: 2b or not 2b = $FF

Closed Tutorial