Views
    Replies

Talking How to build your own servo EDIT: Directional Motor Driver

Difficulty
    It's pretty ametuerish but can be bug prone if you are not careful
    Estimated Time
    10 - 30 min, depending how stupid you are
    Skills Required
    Being able to identify the collector, emitter, and base leads of the transistors you are using

Knowing how to use a soldering iron, if you are using a pemanent circuit board

An understanding for electronics, you dont need to be a genius to build it, but if you cant tell a thermistor from a transistor, you're screwed.

Being able to read & understand a circuit diagram, and then being able to build the circuit out of the diagram
    Parts Required
    4x NPN bipolar transistors capable of handling the power needed to drive your motor
    A motor, can be a stepper or normal, i used a normal motor when building the prototype.
    A circuit board ( bread board )
    Tools Required
    Soldering iron ( only if using a permanent circuit board, or if you need to solder some wire together while you are working )
    If you, like me, like rovers, you will like this servo type thingy. It has 4 inputs ( +, -, logic control 1 and logic control 2 ).

Where it says positive, you put your positive terminal, where it says negetive, you put your negetive terminal.

Where it says logic 1 or logic 2, you conect it to your microcontroller.
    Here is a table of the logic possibilities.

Logic 1 | Logic 2
    on | off

this will make your motor turn in one direction

logic 1 | logic 2
    off | on

this will make the motor turn in the opposite direction of the one shown above

logic 1 | logic 2
    on | on

this will make the motorsimnply not move at all, as if there was no power applied to it

logic 1 | logic 2
    off | off

Will also just turn off the motor as if there was no power applied

This is the circuit diagram

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	servo_circuit.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	289

You unfortuantly have to click on the image to be able to actaully see it though...
    Tags: servo, motor, control

Replies to Tutorial: How to build your own servo EDIT: Directional Motor Driver
  1. johnnyonthespot Guest

Re: How to build your own servo

Hmm...should perhaps be called 'directional motor driver' (not servo)

:0)

2. Re: How to build your own servo

I do believe that you are correct, though i used this in my wlking legs robot, and it worked fine as a servo. ( standing still was a problem though, as you may of guesed )

Closed Tutorial