Tutorial: HOWTO: Install Ubuntu 9.04 onto Roboard - Part 1 of 3

1. kboyd kboyd is offline Abacus
    Category
    How To, DIY
    Views
    Replies

HOWTO: Install Ubuntu 9.04 onto Roboard - Part 1 of 3

Difficulty
    As easy as reading an article about technology - accessible to anyone!
    Estimated Time
    Expect to spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to complete the basics of this tutorial.
    Skills Required
    No skills required - just patience and the right tools!
    Parts Required
    * A Roboard RB-100
    * A desktop computer that can 1) Run Virtual Machines well and 2) boot from a USB memory card
    * 8GB microSDHC memory card with USB carrier/adapter like this
    * A working Internet connection and web browser
    * VMware Workstation
    * Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop

Optional Hardware:
    * USB Ethernet adapter (for troubleshooting and updates): here
    Hi!

Do you have a roboard and want to install a decent modern OS on it? How about a development environment that works great on the roboard, but can also be used from the same bootable microSDHC chip when mounted on a desktop PC via USB? Furthermore, wouldn't it be great to run the same OS in one (or many) virtual machines so that you can safely test new ideas without risk? If your answer to any of these questions is yes - even if you don't have a roboard - then perhaps this HOWTO is for you.

Since I'm new to posting here, I'll most likely produce several edits during the transfer of my documentation to this website. I'll try to make sure the primary HOWTO links to any secondary HOWTOs for clarity and detail as I go on. Please bear with me and enjoy!

-kboyd

Overview:
    I. Install VMware Workstation on desktop machine
    II. Install Ubuntu on microSDHC card on desktop machine via VM
    III. Install modified kernel for i386 machines on microSDHC card via booting desktop machine from microSDHC card
    IV. Set i386 kernel as default boot environment for booting from microSDHC card via booted desktop machine
    V. Boot roboard via microSDHC card

TO BEGIN: Prerequisites

- Install VMware Workstation on desktop machine
    - Download Ubuntu iso image to this desktop machine
    - Keep in mind that you will not insert your microSDHC card into the roboard until the *end* of Part III of this tutorial. All of your setup will occur on the desktop machine.

The topic of virtual machines is a HOWTO all to itself! Rather than go into it right here, I will post a link to a separate HOWTO. For our purposes here, let's say you already have VMware Workstation installed, you have downloaded the Ubuntu iso and you are ready to create a new VM for your roboard.

Start VMware Workstation and create a new VM by using the VM creation Wizard:

Install Type:
    Typical

Click "Next ->"

Install from:
    Installer disc image file (iso)
    (Browse... and select the Ubuntu iso you downloaded)

Click "Next ->"

Personalize Linux:

Name the Virtual Machine:

Specify Disk Capacity:

Ready to Create Virtual Machine:

Here is your VM - we will remove the virtual hard disk next:

Click "Edit virtual machine settings"

Single-click the Hard Disk(SCSI) entry to select it. And then click "Remove"

Remove all devices with autoinstall images on them (additional CD/DVDs, Floppies) as well.
    Your settings should look like:

Click 'OK' to close this window, and then click "Power on this virtual machine" here:

The Ubuntu iso will now boot. The first prompt will give you 30 seconds to choose a Language for the installation:

Single-click inside the window and then use the arrow keys to select your language. Press Enter when done.
    You are now presented with the default Ubuntu install screen:

Before installing, we need to mount the microSDHC card so that VMware can use this as your hard drive.
    Make sure you have inserted your microSDHC card, and then press "Ctrl-Alt" to release the mouse from VM control.
    Go to the upper VMware menu bar and choose
    "VM -> Removable Devices -> Transcend Mass Storage Device -> Connect (Disconnect from Host)":

At this point, VMware Workstation can "see" the microSDHC card that is mounted via USB carrier, so you can
    continue installing Ubuntu. Single-click the mouse while hovering over the install screen in order to control the VM.

Use the arrow keys to choose "Install Ubuntu." Once "Install Ubuntu" is highlighted, press F6, and then press Esc:

By pushing F6 and then Esc, you are presented with the command line arguments that will be used to boot your device.
    You will need to modify these arguments. The next steps are critical in order for your roboard to boot from this installation.

First, we will press "Backspace" and delete "splash --":

Next, we will insert the following commands - type:

pnpbios=off acpi=off noreplace-paravirt noapic nolapic

Once you have the boot arguments typed in, press ENTER. The installation process will begin.

At the Welcome screen, you get another chance to select the installation language:

Single-click "Forward" to continue.

Now select your time zone and then click forward to continue:

Next, choose your keyboard layout and click "Forward" to continue:

Next, you will decide how best to allocate disk space:

If you have an 8GB microSDHC card, then step 4 should look similar to what is displayed here.

Please proceed to
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tu...t-2-of-3-3269/ (Part 2 of 3) in order to continue this tutorial.
    Attached Files
    • ub1
    • ub2
    • ub3
    • ub5
    • ub6
    • ub7
    • ub8
    • ub9
    • ub10
    • vmwiz1
    • vmwiz2