Accelerometers

Difficulty
    Easy to Hard
    Estimated Time
    Depends on the project
    Skills Required
    A brain and a set of eyes!
    Parts Required
    An accelerometer and the project of your choosing.
    Tools Required
    Various.
    You probably have heard the term thrown around, but many out there might not know what an Accelerometer does exactly. They are used in a variety of modern machines and gadgets, and a necessity for dynamic balancing in walking robots. Here is a quick tutorial video that we put together, explaining the basics and application of Accelerometers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NNvZlvdEyc"]YouTube - Using Accelerometers in Robotics[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Replies to Tutorial: Accelerometers
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Re: Accelerometers

Great Job. You guys really seamed to have upped your production values. One thing though, it would be cool if you posted sample code, and stuff along with the video. I know that is a lot to ask...but still it would be cool.

DB

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Very,very cool guys, Excellent work. But as DB has mentioned, some code along with maybe the tilt connected to a BS2 or Atom pro28 would also be cool, Thanks for your time guys in putting this together for us.
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006

Thanks DB! This was actually the first time I ever saw it. Jerks, they've been hiding it from me

The code that you saw in the video though was the standard demo code from Phidgets:

http://www.phidgets.com/downloads.php?os_id=1

�In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed�
    - Charles Darwin

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007

I wouldn't mind putting together a demo on how to use an accelerometer with max in a real world situation like getting a mech ready for mech wars...

DB

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008

Excellent demo!

Very good explanation.

-Zenta

6. Re: Accelerometers

great introductions

7. Join Date
    May 2008

Wow, great production!!!
    Look out Billy Maze and Ronco!!!
    I reject your reality and inject my own.
    www.Trampbot.org

8. Re: Accelerometers

OK i HAVE BUT ONE QUESTION, CAN AN Accelerometers masure 360 degress.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008

Accelerometers measure force not location. It sounds like you want a gyro (which mesures rotation... i.e. if you turn to the left, you turn 90 degrees)
    Accelerometers mesure how quickly you start or stop, and measures the force due to gravity. So a gyro can tell if you moved 90 degrees, but can't tell you how quickly. A accelermoter can tell you how fast you are turning, but not how far.
    Hope this helps.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007

Extremely well put. It is for this reason that an IMU (Intertial Measurement Unit) is your ideal solution in most advanced applications. A 6 axis IMU combines a 3 axis accelerometer and a 3 axis gyro, meaning you can measure the angle and velocity of any change on all 3 axis'.

Great post Eric, + rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Accelerometers measure force not location. It sounds like you want a gyro (which mesures rotation... i.e. if you turn to the left, you turn 90 degrees)
    Accelerometers mesure how quickly you start or stop, and measures the force due to gravity. So a gyro can tell if you moved 90 degrees, but can't tell you how quickly. A accelermoter can tell you how fast you are turning, but not how far.
    Hope this helps.

Closed Tutorial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast