BEAM Robotics Line Follower Tutorial

Difficulty
    Easy to moderate
    Estimated Time
    4 to 6 hours with activities, 2 hours read only
    Skills Required
    Use of multimeter, breadboarding, power supply and handling CMOS chips
    Parts Required
    Resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors of various types/values, motors, 555 timer, visible & infrared LEDs, 74AC240
    None if not performing included activities
    Tools Required
    Multimeter
    Breadboard
    Wires for breadboard
    Lamp or other light source
    Alligator clips (helpful, but not really required)
    Jeweler's screwdrivers
    Introduction
    This tutorial (attached PDF files) contains 53 letter sized pages of information about Line Followers for people that are entering the exciting field of BEAM robotics. If you are starting out with this technology this (perhaps not so) brief introduction will help you get started, explaining what BEAM is and presenting a basic description of the electronic components that are used by this robot. The tutorial is a PDF file that you can read using any compatible PDF viewer.

Contents

Introduction to BEAM – What is it? Who is behind this?
    Electronic Components – Description of the components used in the tutorial
    How Does it Work? – Description on how featured Line Follower works
    The Circuits – Description of featured circuits
    Let’s Do Something – Hands on activities using some of the featured components
    Pics of Some Followers – As the title says, pictures of some Line Followers
    Link – Links to useful websites for further more detailed research
    Acknowledgements

A Caveat

As mentioned in this description, the tutorial contains many links to more information and resources. Due to the dynamic nature of the Web, I can’t guarantee that these links are all functional. If you should find a broken link let me know and I will make a reasonable effort to locate a working URL to the resource. I will update the document and repost an updated copy. Since a lot of online material was written from 1998 – 2003, some information may no longer be available.

Note: I just loaded the PDF file using the FoxIt viewer and found that the links were not active. I don't know enough of this viewer to determine the cause. Tested with Acrobat Reader, no problem there.
    Attached Files
    Tags: BEAM, robot, line, follower, 555