Views
    Replies

Roboquad

Difficulty
    Easy to medium
    Estimated Time
    2 hrs a day, 5 days
    Roboquad

Well, What can one say about Roboquad,I have been putting him through his paces and I must say that he is a ball of fun and so many interesting moves, I just love the guard stance where he rears up on all fours mutters some garbage and is then on alert until you move or get close to him. The demo move is quite hilarious going through his stuff. He also responds well to his surroundings the IR works very well and the light sensor does it's job when you switch the lights out and back on. As for walking on the carpet brilliant could not fault it, On a slippery surface like lino or tiles there is a bit of slippage but can be fixed with the addition of rubber tips on his feet,Do not use rubber tips on carpet as this will cause a load on the servo motors. The display of lights he has is also very good and eye catching. One thing I did notice is that you should keep your fingers clear of those articulated legs, they have a bit of force behind them and could give you a nasty pinch. I have taken some pics and a short video which I will post soon.

Straight out of the box.

Those menacing eyes.

Doing it's thing on the carpet.

Another carpet shot.

[CENTER] Diagram of sensors.

(Page 1 of 5)
    People yearn after this robotic dream, but you can't strip your life of all meaning, emotion and feeling and expect to function.

Replies to Tutorial: Roboquad
  1. Re: Roboquad

Nice job! I have a RoboQuad also. I have been considering replacing the processor board with something I can program to do what I want. I'm not sure I can work in those tight places though.
    I can handle complexity. It's the simple things that confound me.
    Do everything in moderation, ESPECIALLY, moderation..
    Sometimes the only way to win, is not to play.. -- Stephen Falken

2. Re: Roboquad

Very cool

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Re: Roboquad

Nice job! Are those Solarbotics motors driving that puppy?

Dale, you can get in there. Looks like it was "made" for an arduino, but I don't know the specific measurements...

4. Re: Roboquad

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    Dale, you can get in there. Looks like it was "made" for an arduino, but I don't know the specific measurements...
    It would probably be workable to replace the board in the body. New Micros has some very small ARM based controllers that would definitely fit, under 2" x 2" size wise. They also have a small DSP that would fit. Hmmmm..

8-Dale

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008

What's the measurements on the old board?

You could probably fit TWO Arduino Nano's in there, side-by-side, and still not be tight. 0.73" x 1.70" ea, with all the Decimilia functionality. That'd give you almost two dozen digital I/O, and 12 Analog In A/D channels, two serial, two USB, two I2C masters. It would even be trivial to drive a serial graphic LCD from it and still have another serial channel and the I2C left over.

http://store.gravitech.us/arduino-nano1.html

6. Re: Roboquad

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenalynn View Post
    You could probably fit TWO Arduino Nano's in there, side-by-side, and still not be tight. 0.73" x 1.70" ea, with all the Decimilia functionality.
    Interesting possibility! I wish module makers would stop using vertical connectors for JTAG though. It makes a higher clearance required.

8-Dale

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Since JTAG is a debug methodology, the 'bot should be up on a stand and the legs/wheels/tracks/whatever free to do their thang. Once you close the cover, the JTAG should be quiet and out of the way.

I understand the mentality...

Reply To Tutorial